Monday, September 30, 2013

Laundry Detergent

I absolutely love this homemade laundry soap! It saves me a bunch of money and lasts quite a while since you only use a little amount. But, I have to give all credit to my dear friend Megan for this one. She is the one who showed me how to make it and gave me the ingredients. So thank you Meg! Just passing your genius-ness along to others!

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Borax
1 Cup of Washing Soda (cooked baking soda, or you can buy it from the store)
1 Bar of soap


Step 1:

So what you need to do is cut the soap into smaller pieces and throw it into either a blender or a food processor and chop it all up. 

TIP: I keep my soap in the fridge so that it chops up better and doesn't stick to the blade as much as if I were to leave the soap out. 


Step 2: 

Once it is chopped up into super small pieces add the 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda. Then mix it all together. Make sure that it is well mixed, you may have to scrape some of the soap off the bottom and mix. 

TIP: I add the washing soda in very slowly because it is super powder-y and can float up everywhere! 



Step 3: Pour it into a container and you're all done! 



You will only need to use 1 - 2 tablespoons per load and I will double the recipe every once in a while just because it's easier when everything is out and messy! 

For tough smells add a little bit of White Vinegar to your load of laundry and (although I have never used it) Megan swears that it doesn't make your laundry smell like vinegar. We have yet to try it but I trust Megan's judgement when it comes to stuff like this (: 


Ok, washing soda time! 

Take Baking Soda and place it on a pan and preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the pan of baking soda and let it cook for 1 hour. I stir the baking soda 30 min through and when it's done it will be ashy and very powder-y. 


I always make a LOT of this when I do because it can be a hassle getting it into a jar or container with out it going everywhere so just a thought to make it in bigger batches rather than small amounts every time. 



Again, thanks again Megan for your mad skill! Go check out her blog


No comments:

Post a Comment