Friday, September 13, 2013

New Dresser!

So this lovely dresser was my husband's, little brothers and before that, who knows? We got it when my husband moved out because they wanted to keep the better furniture for the boys and we could re-paint this dresser. Well it sat in our other house for almost a year with my husbands clothes inside with broken drawers, missing knobs and it just wasn't in the best shape. Well since we found out we were having our first baby we decided to keep it and re-paint and fix everything ourselves. Me, thinking that this wouldn't be too much to handle decided to try and do it in a day or two... That was a joke! Anyway, the process wasn't hard, it was just a lot for me and my pregnant belly to handle so I am now completely exhausted!

First, because there were so many layers of paint we knew that we would have to strip all the paint off. Well my mother-in-law is very natural and organic and she gave me this amazing stuff that is non-toxic and wouldn't kill me or harm the baby!


Super great stuff! Make sure that it's not in plastic and you use a regular paint brush. Make sure that you glob it on and let it sit for like 2 hours! We only let is set for 30 minutes and it took some nice hard arm work to scrape the paint off. 

Anyway, my sister-in-law came over and one of my good friends to help with this crazy task. 

This is what the dresser looked like before...


Then after letting it set and scraping all the gook off we finally got them down to bare wood.. For the most part. By the end of this day I was so sick of scraping that I gave up and just sanded down the drawers to make them look smooth. This actually helped a lot when it came to painting the drawers. 

Once I sanded down the drawers I primed them because there was still some flame residue on the drawers. Then we painted 3 coats of navy blue and viola! We were done! Oh, we painted the top of the dresser white again (husbands idea to keep the dresser white and the drawers blue.) Anyway, here is the finished product! 


Might I just add how proud I am?! It is my first big transformation when it comes to second hand furniture. I think I may do it more often now that I know I can! Plus there are lots of drawers for when it comes to putting all of our sons stuff! 



This is what the stripping gel does to brushes if they're not the right kind :)






No comments:

Post a Comment