Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chalkboard Sign

As I was walking through Michael's trying to kill some time (bad idea!) I found this really cute plate that was only $2 and so I decided to get it, what I would do, I had no idea. While continuing to walk around I found some cute flowers and fake pearls for $1 each and decided they would be cute on the plate, but what would I do with it after...? Then it hit me! A chalkboard sign to hang up somewhere. Then it hit me again! Everything I got reminded me of my sister-in-law and I decided I would make it for her. Well lucky her, I went over to their house and she got to help me make the cute thing! It was super easy and really cheap to make!

What you will need:

Cute Plate
Chalk Board Paint
Decorative Supplies


My cute plate! 


Make sure you sand the area down so the paint will stick. 
WARNING: It makes an awful sound!! But it's all worth it in the end.

Make sure you check how much you have sanded off. You just want the top, glossy, layer removed, not an entire layer of paint. 


Once you have sanded your plate down, rinse it off so it's not grainy when you paint it. Then take the chalkboard paint and layer it on! It took about 3 or 4 coats for it to actually cover and stick to the paint.
TIP: If you take a hair dryer, it dries much quicker but don't put it too close because it will blow the paint.




Next, take your decor and place it wherever you're heart desires on the plate! We used a hot glue gun to keep the items on the plate. Makes it much easier! 


And this is our finished product! Make sure you wait at least 24 hours before you write on the chalk or it may not clean up as well after. 



You can do this process with anything! Be creative when it comes to this! I love easy projects and this can be done with things all around your house and it makes for cute decor and fun signs!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.;)
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just adorable! I've been wanting to use chalkboard paint. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog; I bet you will be a great mom when your time comes!

    lifemedschoolwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Chalkboard paint is some of my favorite stuff to work with! Aww that's sweet! I hope so! Good luck with everything!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete